The American Association of Endodontists has just released a white paper on the topic of competency of endodontic care. This paper defines the requisite skills required by all dentists who perform endodontic diagnosis and treatment regardless of whether the clinician is a generalist or specialist.
Topics covered include:
- Proper pulpal and periapical diagnosis
- Identifying odontogenic pain from non-odontogenic pain
- Proper emergency treatment for traumatic dental injuries
- Role of patient interview in endodontic diagnosis
- Distinguishing features of irreversible pulpitis
- The importance of multiple findings in determination of pulpal pathosis